Sunday 1 January 2012

December Book Club

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer
A while ago I asked for recommendations on my FB page, I tend to read similar kinds of books and wanted to try something different. My friends came up with a huge variety of suggestions and this was the first one I chose...
It was something different for me, and I loved it. It's the story of a writer based in London just after the end of the Second World War, and how her life changes through the receipt of a chance letter. It also gives an insight into the occupation of Guernsey during the war. I adored the writing, and admired how the author gave each character their own voice (the book is written in letters from and to many of the characters) and how she brought alive a part of history I knew little about. Try it, it's fabulous :)

Holes - Louis Sachar
Another recommendation from FB, although this was a book I'd fancied for quite a while, but I am too tight to hand over nearly £5 of my own money for a Kindle book....so when I got a few Amazon vouchers I treated myself. This seems to be the story of a boy sent to a correctional camp for a crime he didn't commit, but it's so much more. It's not a long book, but the story grips you utterly and I couldn't put it down!

Integration - Stephen Edger
I tried this one as the reviews on Amazon were amazing. Five stars all the way with phenomenal things to say about this book.
So, although I enjoyed reading this book, I have learnt to not always believe Amazon reviews....
It's the tale of a normal guy who gets caught up in something way beyond his control, and how his whole life is turned upside down. It's a good enough read, although somewhat formulaic and frustratingly ended with a "To be continued" I'll be reading the follow up, as I do want to know what happens to Mark next. It's worth a read.

A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
I finished this not long before Christmas and it was simply wonderful :) Oh of course I knew the story, everyone from The Muppets to Bill Murray have done the story, but to read the original words, and the delightful turn of phrase that Dickens has in this tale was priceless. It is quite simply a magical story that is full of the spirit of Christmas. I think I'll find myself reading this before many future Christmasses :)

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
Another one from the Big Read. I tried this one as it's supposedly an easier read than LOTR. I can't argue with that, after all I finished this one lol! Whilst I did enjoy the story, I can't say I loved it. It's obviously about Bilbo's journey, and much as I really tried to absorb it and love it, I just couldn't. It's okay, it's a story about a journey....but without the gorgeous depth of detail that would have made it come alive for me. I'm sorry, I know Tolkien's books are deemed wonderous, but not for me.

It's hard to pick a favourite this month. I can't say how much I loved Holes and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - they are both wonderful, amazing books that I am so happy to have been recommended and as they are both utterly different I just can't pick between them. Read them both, you won't be disappointed.
Worst is The Hobbit, I know I'll like the film - but the book just didn't do it for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think of my randomness m'dears :)