Thursday 10 November 2011

Wanderings

The decision was made today that we would definitely get out of the house. It seems that we have been stuck indoors for too long and the pair of us have been going a little stir crazy. After seeing my counsellor we had a quick lunch and then set out.

With the aid of Google Maps, I spotted that just up the coast at Winterton-On-Sea there were miles of dunes leading up to the beach and so that was were we headed. Boo does love a snuffle through dunes and with the weather being kind again - someone really needs to tell the weather it's mid November lol - we had a lovely refreshing walk. Although I had forgotten how hard it is walking on sand, especially when you're hideously unfit lol!



The beach was gorgeous, mile upon mile of sand and the dunes had much more to explore, so we'll definitely be going back. Of course, Bayleigh adored her big long walk :)

We had to head back after an hour or so as the sun was starting to disappear, as we headed home I saw the brown sign I have passed tons of times before, for the Roman Fort at Caister. I've lived in Yarmouth for nearly 9 years now but had never taken the time to see the Fort, so a quick detour was decided upon!

The remains of the fort were discovered in the 1950's when the area was being cleared to build houses, and the ruins date back to around 200AD, so 1800 years old. Utterly phenomenal really, we explored for a good 20 minutes of so, just appreciating the sheer age of the path we were standing on. I'm so glad I finally managed to take a small meander out of the way to explore. Something tells me that if the weather stays kind we might just do some more exploring, especially as only a few miles away there is a larger, more well preserved Saxon Fort, another excuse to get out of the house and walk the little legs off of Bayleigh Boo methinks :)

 History - I loves it!

I think sometimes in the UK we forget just how rich in history this island is, every day I walk past buildings built hundreds of years ago and think nothing of it. I should really try to document some more of the history that is on my doorstep, for example, at the end of my road is a town wall dating back to the 1100's, and buildings in town almost as old. It's madness that I don't stop and appreciate it more.....can I feel a New Year resolution in the air?? Hmmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think of my randomness m'dears :)