Thursday 11 November 2010

Lest we forget...

Today is the 11th day of the 11th month. A day for remembrance, and a day I think we should always stop and take pause at the striking of the 11th hour.

Both my Grandfather's served in the Second World War, my Maternal Grandfather was a member of the Medical Corps, I am proud to have his cap badge. My Paternal Grandfather was an RAF Engineer.

My Maternal Grandfather's Brothers both served in that war as well. My Uncle Bill served with the Desert Rats, and used to proudly regale us with tales of serving alongside Spike Milligan. Christmas visits always involved the grandchildren, listening open mouthed as he told us about his adventures during the war. My Uncle Bert, Grandad's youngest brother never spoke of his time spent serving his country. He was one of the Forgotten Army in Burma and took his experiences with him to his grave, the last of his Brothers to sleep.

Thousands and thousands of young men serve our country, have lain down their lives for our freedom, for the freedom we take for granted, take as a "right". Today, soldiers all over the world are missing their families whilst we are safe at home. Buying a Poppy, donating to the Royal British Legion simply shows that you care, that you appreciate the enormous sacrifice made for us, and the price that is paid for freedom.

No-one else in my family has served, we are not an army family, however I will always buy a Poppy in November, I will always observe the 2 minute silence on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. I will always shed a tear as I see the Poppies fall during the Festival of Remembrance....and I will never forget.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.



www.poppy.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think of my randomness m'dears :)