Sunday 11 September 2011

The Moon

The moon, something I love to look at, something that can light up the sky and something special to me being a Pagan...and since I've got more into photography something I've been wanting to try and take some decent photos of.

My first efforts were on my little old Nikon - and were, to be frank, crap. A blurry white ball which could have been anything.

When I got my DSLR I thought it would be easy to get a moon shot, and tried on numerous occasions, still ending up with fail all over my face...

I then progressed to a zoom lens, surely this would be the equipment to finally capture a stunning shot of the moon? No...still a white blurry ball :o(

When I got my Powershot, I didn't hold out much hope and tried to get some shots on holiday in Auto mode - once again with no luck at all.

I'd almost given up hope, despite reading online how to do it, and investigating all sorts of photographically nerdy information I had not managed a decent pic. Until two days ago...I put the Powershot into manual, and used the settings recommended ...

I finally had a moon pic!!! Although it was slightly dark, and the moon wasn't full, but due to the sense of achievement it was my picture of the day!  (Day 252 if you're keeping track)

Today was a contact day for Dan and so involved a drive to Barnsley and back. On the way home the moon rose early and I just couldn't resist - normally the lure of the TomTom telling me her fairy tales about our arrival time mean that I can't be distracted from beating her by anything, but still high on finally capturing a moon shot I decided to stop...

Not so great, so perhaps I have a bit to learn about shooting the moon in daylight - still, as we drove, the moon rose higher, and became brighter and brighter, practically begging me to try again, to try and get a better picture, to do her justice.

Despite driving for over 3 hours, despite being out of the house for almost 14 hours, I couldn't resist, and tried once more...

I still have room for improvement, but I so pleased to finally have taken a decent moon shot! I don't officially have a photography Bucket List - but this was definitely on my imaginary, just in my head one, so I can now tick it off (until I take a better one)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think of my randomness m'dears :)