Sunday 4 September 2011

Post Holiday Blues

I suppose that post holiday blues are to be expected, however when you are already suffering from stress and depression before that holiday the comedown will always be awful. I'm now drifting down into a horrible place with only the memories of the holiday to keep me going...so...I shall endeavour to cheer myself up with some of the little high points of my holiday to try and keep my sanity within touching distance at least!

Reaching the villa at midnight and dipping our feet into the pool and then lying back and looking up at thousands of stars in the clear night sky.
Picking a lemon off a tree in the orchard and the amazing citrus smell of it.

Tasting a mojito for the first time!

Re-discovering what being relaxed felt like.
The first cold, cold can of Keo by the pool.
The amazing blue colour of the sky.
The breathtaking sunsets.

The delicious nibbly/cheesey/spinachy/olivey nommy things that the local bakery sold.
Greek yoghurt and honey.
My first proper Brandy Sour in 9 years!
Spending time, relaxed time, with Hague :)
The views on the drive to Pafos.
Eating the most delicious chips in the world.
Spending time, and celebrating 40 years of marriage (my Parentals) with my family.
Spending lots of time with my Nieces - and reading them Harry Potter as a bedtime story :)
Holiday Hague :)
Being disowned by my Mum for wearing 3 different swimsuits with different straps - this apparently is not the proper behaviour for suntanning, and led to my being disowned as the daughter of a professional sunbather lol!
Lying back in the pool, eyes closed, just floating in the cool water with the sun on my face.
Lizard spotting in the beach bar.
The receipt from the first shop that was bigger than Jenna!

Jack Daniels costing 16 Euros a litre!
Carys learning to swim.
The delicious tomatoes.
Walking into the air conditioned bedroom after sitting in the sun.

It really was the most amazing fortnight. The villa was in a wonderful location, with gorgeous views over the bay. The weather was hot - but not to the point of utter discomfort (the pool helped with that!). Being away reminded me why people have holidays, why they scrimp and save for those precious days of escape each year. I'd not been away in 5 or 6 years, not had a fortnight's holiday in 9 years and had truly forgotten how much that break is needed. 

Now though, I'm home...every part of me is yearning to be back in Cyprus, I miss the smell of the island, I miss the sun, the views, the feeling of utter contentment that washed over me whilst I was there, even after 6 or 7 holidays there the love for the island is still strong. But...I'm home, struggling with my state of mind, changes in work, debt, and all the other problems that are piling up...I shall keep the memories of this holiday as fresh as I can, I'll keep them close as a weapon to help beat down the depression that seems to be beating me down right now.

My tan may already be fading, but the memories I will keep bright and strong, to help me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think of my randomness m'dears :)