Thursday 22 September 2011

Worrying Ignorance...

In my current state of mind, not much gets my back up. I spend my days trying to insulate myself from the big bad world, staying nice and cosy in my head, however some headlines today have pushed me to the point of a blog...I know!!

On both the Sky and Daily Mail websites (and probably others) a story has been published regarding the controversy surrounding children taking part in MMA contests. Now, I appreciate that a lot of people who peruse my blog won't have a scoob (scooby doo = clue) what MMA is...if I substitute MMA  for "cage fighting" I may have a few more people who understand what I'm talking about.

MMA means mixed martial arts....remember those? Karate/Judo/Muay Thai/ Kick Boxing they are all martial arts disciplines. The sport of mixed martial arts combines all of these, plus Ju Jitsu and Wrestling. The resulting sport is an exciting combination of trying to get a submission and the skills of stand up skills such as boxing. I will concede that it's not a sport for the faint hearted, but then neither is boxing!

The very fact that so many skills are required make it a wonderful sport to me, seeing a bout containing the wealth of skills from Ju Jitsu, Wrestling, Boxing and Muay Thai really do make for the most exciting combat sport I've ever witnessed.

Back to the children though - children of 8/9 such as those in the sensational headlines do not wear headgear or  gloves. This isn't an oversight, a loophole screaming for the RSPCA to get involved, it's because they are not allowed to strike, kick or punch each other. This means that they are confined to grappling, using wrestling and Ju Jitsu skills alone.

Call me biased if you will, but when we are bombarded with tales of our obese children, surely the mere fact that some are taking interest in such a skilled sport should be applauded? These kids will learn discipline, they will learn how to defend themselves from attack and learn the importance of fitness and training when you want to succeed at sport.

People wouldn't think twice about sending their child to Karate classes, so why this blanket hate for a fledgling sport that few could truly claim to understand, but are quick to condemn and berate. Take a look before you mindlessly follow the crowds and get swept up in the Daily Fail mindset. Please?

2 comments:

  1. The Daily Mail???
    Im suprised the didnt try to shoehorn Asylum seekers, Paedophiles and Hoodies int the story too!

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they definitely went for the hoodie/chav angle too :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let me know what you think of my randomness m'dears :)