Wednesday 4 May 2011

Sometimes Life Is Just Too Short

We are only here for moments in the scheme of things, all of the millennia that the Earth has been here for and our lifetime is a miniscule event that can’t possibly register. We measure our time in seconds, minutes, years, but presume that the years will stretch on endlessly; at least that’s how it feels when you’re young. When time is there to waste, when summers stretch on forever, when friendships feel like they’ll be always be strong.

As time passes and you get older, you realise just how wrong you were. Each year that passes seems faster than the last, babies become toddlers become children seemingly before your very eyes – the time so subjective as it goes by.

You start to appreciate what’s important, the things worth every ounce of effort you can muster, and the things that are wasteful in a negative way. The things that seep into your mind, grow and get darker, the things that seem to dictate your behaviour, seem to twist you into something you barely recognise if you’ll let them. Bitterness makes you bitter. Negativity makes you negative. Hate makes you hateful and all of them take time…time to build, and grow and become forces larger than themselves!

What a waste.

Life is for living, for seeing the beauty in everything around us. We should enjoy our short, precious time, we should keep in sharp focus the things which are important. I think the time away from work, and hearing of the sudden death of a colleague (younger than me) has really hit this home to me. I’m not one for letting myself get dragged into meaningless, harmful, bitchy negativity anyway – but I am determined to be happy, to LET myself be happy. To look for positives wherever negatives seem to present themselves, to find challenges rather than obstacles. To just dust myself off and get going again when the setbacks keep coming.

I have a lot to be happy about, the kind of things that money can’t buy really (which is a good thing lol). I have love in my life, my bills are paid, I have a roof over my head, I have good friends and my health. I will not waste my life on regrets, on “what if’s” on raking over old ground to find even worse conclusions. I’m just going to live it – every single, precious, delicate moment of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think of my randomness m'dears :)