Wednesday 15 June 2011

Job Satisfaction?? WTF?

It’s funny isn’t it, how sometimes you find yourself doing something and suddenly realise that you are actually A) quite enjoying it and B) quite good at it….

I suppose I’ve always enjoyed playing with computers, and have fully embraced the internet since I first stumbled across it, too many years ago to mention! Back in my childhood I used to sit at my Amstrad CPC-464 and painstakingly type in the lines and lines of code to create utterly pointless little programs that took so much effort and usually only delivered something in the realms of a flashing screen!

However, the creative-ness of the internet, of webpages and that whole realm of mystery have totalled passed me by. My knowledge of HTML barely scrapes the total basics and I wouldn’t know where to start with actually building anything on the t’interwebs.

This week at work though, I’ve had to create spreadsheets links and team sites on Sharepoint, and although frustrating at time, I’ve actually quite enjoyed it! It’s creation on a computer in a different way, and sad as it sounds I like finding out all the things that Excel can do. I’ve managed to save lots of time and effort for people with precious little time to spare and create something efficient, simple and easy to use. It will also provide us with a database and record. I’m ridiculously proud of this, but when I started out, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to even manage the task!

Today, I have decided to set up a team site for myself and my colleague so we can pool our information and resources to help us work more efficiently. It’s a simple process, just using another Microsoft tool (Sharepoint) but I’m enjoying the creation of it – the putting together of something that will make life easier. The considering of all the factors, documents, aspects and tools we might use and making sure they are accessible. I’ve found it strangely relaxing and fulfilling!

Who knew making things organised, streamlined and simple could be my forte? Such a shame that I fail miserably to organise on even a tiny scale at home….. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think of my randomness m'dears :)